A few days ago I made and posted this to our instagram account. I sort of live by this, I realize when I am not in such a good mood, the people around me (my kids and significant other) are subject to whatever comes. I also realized that this is completely unfair yet some of the time, it’s at the same time, hard to control. What I have learned so far from a few bad days, a couple unnecessary arguments, and a bunch of tears, is that I actually am the keeper of happiness in this household. If I am not happy, it’s somewhat of a chain reaction and toxic situation I am happy to be getting out of.
Staying at home (in my home at least) – I typically “work” a 12-16 hour day. Occasionally more on some days but rarely less. I may not HAVE to get out of my pajamas to go to “work” but that is a whole other set of circumstances…
A good day of “work” includes the daily house chores, meals, playtime together, one on one time with each kiddo, a little blog work, errands, naps, bedtime routine and then hopefully some mommy time or mommy/daddy time if he isn’t on graveyards. This can be a looong-ass day some days and other days seem to fly by.
So how do I ensure I am happy enough to make sure all this crap actually gets done every. single. day?
I now make it a point to set up my self for success every day. I’ve found that I need 3 things every morning to optimize my productivity while maintaining cheerfulness.
Every morning I ideally need:
- My coffee – white coffee with white chocolate powder and toasted marshmallow syrup.
- A breakfast I can look forward to – I’ve been terrible in the past about not eating breakfast and learning it does change my attitude and energy levels – in fact the opposite.
- A comfortable outfit I can leave the house in if needed – being comfortable at home but not looking too schlumpy for the store will actually get me out of the house verses the ol’ faithful sweats and a t-shirt.
**A really good mood setter for me is to listen to music while I cook or finish up breakfast. A little beyonce in the morning with Daniel Tiger in the background for the kiddos! 😉
So every night as part of my daily chores:
- I make sure that my coffee machine and tools are clean and ready to go in the morning.
- I prepare or pull out any overnight casseroles, pull out any frozen breakfast meats to thaw in the fridge, and make sure the dishwasher is set to have everything clean in the morning so any pots or pans are ready to use.
- I pick out an outfit based on the weather (use an app on your phone) and lay it out so I have no excuse to put it on after I get up and move around a little bit.
What kind of things do you ideally need for a productive day of work – whether it is at home or not?
If your morning routine isn’t working for you – try implementing one of my needs into your morning or night and let me know how it works for you!
Do you have any tips for me regarding staying at home and how to keep it together during those tough mental slumps?
This is something that I plan on doing for a while (staying at home with my smaller children) and finding out the hard way isn’t always so wonderful.